Sunday, December 23, 2007

Two Nights Before Christmas

December 23 and I'm just staying away from the cookies. I managed to keep them out of my house. I'm not usually a big sweet lover, but if I start on cookies I could just keep going. I am giving myself permission to have dessert tomorrow night (Christmas Eve with extended family), and on Christmas, when my immediate family is here for dinner. After a number of years I've noticed something that never, never used to happen: when I have given myself permission in advance, about half the time I actually end up not wanting the dessert, or maybe just a taste.

For us now, the greatest joy in Christmas is our children and 3 wonderful grandchildren. They are fun ages, 3, 4 1/2 and 7, all big personalties brimming with fun.

As we celebrate the birth of our Savior, I will remember as I have for many years, to be thankful for my personal visits from the Holy Spirit, which still sustain me as I continue to seek a healthy life. It seems each year brings more to be thankful for. I certainly didn't know, just one year ago, when I decided to do my first Triathlon in 2007, all the many joys it would bring me. I'm more fit, and a bit trimmer. I have a new confidence in myself, and for the firts time know the difference between training and exercising. I have a passion for riding my bike outdoors and drinking in the wonders of this earth, riding behind my dear friend and training partner Laura. And I have precious new friends, with whom I will journey in 2008 to the Danskin Triathlon in Webster, MA.

Thank you, our Loving and Wonderful God, for all that you have given me.

1 comment:

Kathryn Mackel said...

Webster! How cool...I'll be there to root you on. (Or, if there's a bit of a miracle, one never knows...I might swim/ride/run with you!)