Wednesday, December 26, 2007

No Guilt Leftover Turkey

With the last remnants of Christmas day removed from my kitchen floor, I'm now ready to turn my efforts to the leftover turkey. What ever I can nicely slice from the breast, I'll wrap tightly for sandwiches. With the rest, I'll make a delightful turkey salad, with one of my favorite low fat substitutions for moisture.

I'll use my food processor to cut the turkey into small chunks, then add some celery, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste. But to avoid the many calories of mayonnaise, I will use mostly non fat plain yogurt for moisture, and just a small amount of light mayo. I don't even bother telling anyone what's in it, unless they are concerned about a high calorie salad. Put together this way, you do not taste "yogurt," you taste the turkey. I use this same recipe for chicken and tuna salad, also. And I put plain non fat yogurt on my baked potato. If you were blind folded, you would probably think it was sour cream. Try it!

I did make sure all the desserts left with my guests, so all that's left is, in fact, just some turkey. I didn't tell anyone at the table that the potatoes, turnip, dressing and gravy were fat free. But judging by their quick disappearance, they were enjoyed by all.

And I did have one lovely serving of "Death by Chocolate." It was worth the calories.

2 comments:

Merry said...

I made homemade turkey/rice soup, but I still have some turkey left over. I'll try this salad.

BTW, do you have an dairy-free recipes for anything? My daughter just became lactose-intolerant after a long round of antibiotics. Doctor says its permanent. Now, I'm scrambling to find dairy subsitutes!

Janice Freeman said...

Most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems with yougrt and yogurt products. The yogurt "cultures" actually digest the lactose.

For anyone having persistent diarhea following antibiotics or even a stomach bug, a good treatment is to eat a pint of yogurt - with active cultures- each day for a week or so. It helps restore the beneficial flora and fauna to the digestive tract.