Thursday, December 13, 2007

Fat Free Potatoes

Serving family style at our dinner party, I notice the other women taking very small servings of potatoes and gravy. Hmmm. "Both the potatoes and gravy are fat free, and therefore, quite healthy and naturally low in calories," I say. "How can that be?" came the question.

You already have the gravy recipe. The potatoes are very simple, and can be made in quantity and used as needed over a one week time period.

I don't even peel. Soak the potatoes in water, then scrub the skins. I like to use either red potatoes or Yukon gold. Cut them up, add salt and water and boil as usual.

For each potato used, peel 1 clove of garlic. Lay the garlic in doubled over aluminum foil, wrap tightly and put in a 325 degree oven for 25 minutes, or 350 for 20, or 400 for 15 minutes. Keep it tightly wrapped until you add it to the potatoes. Do not overbake it.

Drain the potatoes and add 1 T lowfat cottage cheese and about 1 teaspoon low fat milk per pototo. Add the garlic and whip it all up with an electric mixer, or mash manually. Taste for salt and pepper. The roasted garlic adds interest but does not scream GARLIC. It is, however, optional. I make enough of these for a few meals, removing what I need for a meal and microwaving until they are hot. They are great on top of Shepard's pie. Do we even really taste butter and/or cream in potatoes? I had them when we went to a friends for Thanksgiving and they were no better, but I ate less, not wanting all the extra calories. Get the fat=flavor equation out of your head because it just isn't true!

2 comments:

Kathryn Mackel said...

What if you don't like garlic (like me) but want to add some flavoring. What else would spice the potatoes up?

Unknown said...

Great recipe. thanks I am looking forward to making the potatoes this weekend with my roasted chicken.
Jamie M. Mackel