Monday, December 10, 2007

A Diversion

My sister-in law, my late husband's sister, is having her fourth battle with cancer. Although I did not know her during her first battle, because of this one, I discovered she is a walking miracle. Twenty three years ago, she was diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer which metatisized into her bones. In spite of surgery and Chemo, she had a very slim chance at long term survival. She had Palliative radiation for the bone pain, but her oncologist did not hold out hope for a good prognosis.

The cancer disappeared completely from her body, although her oncologist would not label her "cancer free" for 15 years. She later had two, non related breast cancers (early and cured). Her current diagnosis is endometrial cancer (of the uterus), so she had an abdominal hysterectomy on November 29th, and the following Sunday came to our home to finish recuperating. I got pretty bossy at times, especially about her need to move and eat well. The outcome is that she's recovering very well, and returned home last Saturday. It was a difficult week for all of us. However, we visited the doctor yesterday and she's doing great and is now able to drive.

The whole thing made me wonder what God was teaching me, but I'm still not sure. There were times I needed to ask the Holy Spirit for help, which simply involves me being still and listening. I was calmed but didn't get any explanations, at least not yet.

Did you think I lost all that weight on my own? And when my late husband was diagnosed with lung cancer, and died in our bed 8 months later, I was definitely not alone.

I get much strength from the people I can help: women with osteoporosis, people with chronic low back pain, people struggling to lose weight and people new to exercise. But people who ask for help with no intention of doing anything to change frustrate me mightily. I need lots of help being patient with them, and perhaps waiting until they are ready to make changes.

I want to resume my journey story now, and let the internet help me help others. I hope I can.

The next blog will have a story about Saturday night's dinner party, including some recipes.

2 comments:

Kathryn Mackel said...

The question "what is God teaching me" is one of the thorniest of life! It seems like when it's finally made clear to us, we're on to the next "what is God teaching" moment!

Great blog. Makes my mouth water!

Peter Freeman said...

God taught me how to wait as I waited to go to Viet Nam for over 6years. Finding myself as a Second Lt. in the Infantry on February 1, 1970 didn't make the wait too pleasant.

I never went for what ever reason(s) God had (Hailey, Scott, Katie, Janice, and my new family).

God gave me or made me learn how to wait. That is what he taught me.

It was a gift I got at 25 and I still have it, nurture it, and never for a moment not know that this was the finest gift anyone could be given.

It is one that allows me to enjoy every minute of this breif time we have.