Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Time to Contemplate Your Readiness to Change

If you are as miserable as I was over 12 years ago, you probably want to change your body. I wanted to change my body for a long, long time. And I had tried, many times. I knew the results I wanted would not come overnight. I also knew there was no sense in making lifestyle changes that I couldn't live with for the rest of my life. I knew there would be lots of work involved. For many people the work is not just around what they eat, but where it comes from. It is very difficult to eat well if you eat out a lot, you need to face the fact that planning, shopping and cooking may be part of your lifestyle changes. And you may need to change your role in your family, especially if you are a woman with children, and especially if you also work outside your home. I work with a lot of women who struggle to find time for the gym, but their husbands don't seem to have that issue. (Sorry to any men I offended, I know you are not all that way). Last night one of our (gym) members told me "I asked my husband whether he wanted to take Megan to CCD class or pick her up." This mom gets to the gym at least 4 times a week. Be honest about your barriers, especially when it comes to exercise. I am convinced that if you are not willing to make your journey toward better health the most important thing in your life for at least 6 months, your chances of success are not good.

Here's some specific points to ponder: Why do I want to lose weight? Is it about how I look or how I feel? I remember asking a reporter who didn't need to lose a lot of weight, why she was so desperate to lose it. She thought and replied "Because I'll have more power." Think about that answer, she wasn't talking about physical strength, and I believe she was greatly mistaken.

Am I willing to make exercise part of my life? Will I schedule it in ahead of other things and ask family members to help me out with chores that get in the way?

Am I willing to plan, shop and cook, or help out as needed with all of these?

Will I be satisfied with a slow rate of weight loss? Can I celebrate my lifestyle changes immediately and wait for the scale to show changes?

Do I realize that weight loss will not necessarily make my other life problems go away?

Can I embrace my lifestyle changes as a journey toward health, and not an exercise in deprivation?

Can I ask my Higher Power for help?

If you are ready, hop in with me. I'm still on the journey and you are welcome to join me. Please feel free to figure out how to post comments because I'd be happy to answer any questions.

No comments: