Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Pork Chops with Tomato Sage Sauce

This recipe is from Cooking Light

This is so fast and easy that dinner can be ready in less than 30 minutes. As with other sauces, I encourage you to make a lot and freeze it for later use. I discovered this recipe this summer, so I have only made it with fresh sage and garden tomatoes. I was very fortunate with tomatoes in '07, I had San Marzano Plum Tomatoes that were prolific, and didn't ripen all at once. I always grow herbs in pots on my deck, they are pretty much no-fail. I did harvest and freeze some whole sage leaves to use throughout the winter. The sage flavor is very subtle, but makes this sauce distinct tasting.

4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 1 t. dried

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (4-6 ounce) boneless or bone in center-cut loin pork chops, soaked in milk. Trim off all the outside fat and you have a nice lean cut of meat. Well trimmed pork loin has no more fat than skinless chicken breasts.
Cooking spray
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped seeded fresh tomato, or a bit more if you'd like. You could use canned tomatoes but even if I din't have my own garden tomatoes, I would use "Campari" tomatoes, available in most supermarkets.
Preparation

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with a little olive or canola oil. Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and cook a few minutes. Add the sage, and white wine, cook uncovered so a little of the water evaporates. You may make extra of the sauce and freeze it.
Pat the pork dry, grill or pan fry until just done. Top with some sauce and serve.
Yield
4 servings (serving size: 1 chop and sauce)

No comments: