Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring, Glorious Spring

This is the second straight week of true spring weather. Spring often skips us in Connecticut, but not this year. It means my yard clean up is on schedule, and I'm anxious to start planting. I do have some lettuce in the garden, and one pot of Primroses on the deck. This weekend I will buy herbs, and put them in pots on the deck also. Fresh herbs add a lot to summer and fall's harvest.

But the most exciting thing about spring is the bike riding.

My training partner Laura and I have had some delightful rides already. The memory of last fall's very last bike ride, with the lowering sun, incredible fall colors and the visit from the starlings along the way helped me endure cardio workouts in the gym during the winter. The reality of the first ride was true to the sparkling memory of last year. We discovered that we've kept our leg strength and I have maintained a good max heart rate - necessary for biking our hills. Our endurance is increasing with each ride, as we begin training for this year's Danskin Triathlon. And we give thanks for every beautiful spring day we have had to make our riding absolutely glorious.

No comments: