Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Where to Begin

I started by doing 2 things: calculating how many calories a day I could eat and still loose weight, assuming I was also exercising, and yes, committing to exercising. There are many web sites that can help with the calculation, including Fitwatch.com. My calculation came to 2,000 calories a day, assuming moderate to vigorous exercise at least 5 days a week. The most logical exercise to get me started was deep water walking. I started in the summer so my own pool was available. Later, I went to the YMCA for both water walking and water aerobics. Yup, put the bathing suit on the big bod and trudged down the hall to the pool. I was somewhat relieved to see other women not dissimilar to me in the classes.

With 2000 calories, I did 500 by noon, 500 by dinner time and 1,000 for dinner and after. I know fancy diets tell you not to eat late in the day, or after dinner, but I had to do something I could live with for the rest of my life. So I "saved" some of the last 1000 calories for a snack at night. It worked. The pounds started dropping off and my fitness level imporved. By Thanksgiving, 40 lbs were gone and life was already much easier. And I wasn't struggling with the food part, which I'll explain later.

No comments: