Wednesday, November 28, 2007

An Important Discovery

If you read my profile, you know that I am a Personal Trainer. When I started my journey to health, I wasn't. So my concept of "exercise" origionally included only Cardiovascular activities. After the initial 40 pound loss, I felt my rate of loss was slowing, and I didn't think it should. So I started reading about exercise and weight loss and learned that I needed to add some strength training to my workouts. I learned to use the Nautilis circuit at my Y, and strength trained 2 to 3 times a week. It made a difference, bringing my rate of weight loss back where I thought it should be. And another big bonus became apparent: as I became stronger, everything I had to do every day got easier!

We trainers now know from personal experience and research in the field that some weightlifting is essential to promote long term weight loss. Without it, some of what you lose can be muscle and your metabolism depends largely on your muscle mass. A sound weight loss program must include cardiovascular exercise and weight lifting in some form. If you are as desperate as I was to succeed, have a good talk with yourself, commit to exercise, and find a convenient place to make it part of your life. And the best cardiovascualr exercise? The one you enjoy!

No comments: